Is this the most Haunted place in America?

156


In the early 1900s, Jefferson County was severely stricken with an outbreak of Tuberculosis.
There were many tuberculosis cases in Louisville at the time because of all the wetlands along the Ohio River, which were perfect for the tuberculosis bacteria.

The Waverly Hills Sanatorium is a closed sanatorium located in southwestern Louisville/Jefferson County, Kentucky.
Said by many to be one of the most Haunted Locations in the United States.
The hit show (Ghost Hunters) which followed the Internationally recognized Organization The Atlantic Paranormal Society (T.A.P.S) and is said to have brought the Genre of Paranormal investigations into the mainstream, Was the first Paranormal Reality show allowed to film an investigation at the location.  Founder Jason Hawes liked the location so much that he decided to Feature Waverly Hills on a (Ghost Hunters Live) Halloween 6 hour show.

 

The attention of  Waverly Hills has skyrocketed in the Paranormal arena over the Years.
It has has shown up on many other Paranormal type shows.
Ghost Hunters, Ghost Hunters Academy, ABC/FOX Family Channel’s Scariest Places on Earth, VH1’s Celebrity Paranormal Project, the British show Most Haunted, Paranormal Challenge and Ghost Adventures on Travel Channel, Ghost Asylum and Paranormal Lockdown. It was also mentioned on The CW’s show Supernatural.

History of Waverly Hills:
Wavery Hills opened in 1910 as a two-story hospital to accommodate 40 to 50 tuberculosis patients.
In the early 1900s, Jefferson County was ravaged by an outbreak of tuberculosis  also referred to as (the “White Plague”) which prompted the construction of a new hospital.
The hospital closed in 1961, due to the antibiotic drug (Streptomycin)
Streptomycin lowered the need for such a hospital.
Plans have been developed to convert the sanatorium into a hotel and conference center.

The land that is today known as Waverly Hill was purchased by Major Thomas H. Hays in 1883 as the Hays’ family home.
Since the new home was far away from any existing schools, Mr. Hays decided to open a local school for his daughters to attend. He started a one-room schoolhouse on Pages Lane and hired Lizzie Lee Harris as the teacher.
Due to Miss Harris’ fondness for Walter Scott’s Waverley novels, She named the schoolhouse Waverley School.
Major Hays liked the peaceful-sounding name, so he named his property Waverley Hill.
The Board of Tuberculosis Hospital kept the name when they bought the land and opened the sanatorium.
It is not known exactly when the spelling changed to exclude the second “e” and became Waverly Hills.
However the spelling fluctuated between both spellings many times over the years.

In the early 1900s, Jefferson County was severely stricken with an outbreak of Tuberculosis.
There were many tuberculosis cases in Louisville at the time because of all the wetlands along the Ohio River, which were perfect for the tuberculosis bacteria.
To try to contain the disease, a two-story wooden sanatorium was opened which consisted of an administrative/main building and two open air pavilions, each housing 20 patients, for the treatment of “early cases”.

In the early part of 1911, the city of Louisville began to make preparations to build a new Louisville City Hospital, and the hospital commissioners decided in their plans that there would be no provision made in the new City Hospital for the admission of pulmonary tuberculosis, and the Board of Tuberculosis Hospital was given $25,000 to erect a hospital for the care of advanced cases of pulmonary tuberculosis.

On August 31, 1912, all tuberculosis patients from the City Hospital were relocated to temporary quarters in tents on the grounds of Waverly Hills pending the completion of a hospital for advanced cases.
In December 1912 a hospital for advanced cases opened for the treatment of another 40 patients. In 1914 a children’s pavilion
added another 50 beds making the known “capacity” around 130 patients.

The children’s pavilion was not only for sick children but also for the children of tuberculosis patients who could not be cared for properly otherwise. This report also mentions that the goal was to add a new building each year to continually grow so there may have even been more beds available than specifically listed.

Due to constant need for repairs on the wooden structures, need for a more durable structure, as well as need for more beds so that
people would not be turned away due to lack of space, construction of a five-story building that could hold more than 400 patients began in March 1924. The new building opened on October 17, 1926, but after the introduction of streptomycin in 1943, the number of tuberculosis cases gradually lowered, until there was no longer need for such a large hospital. The remaining patients were sent to Hazelwood Sanatorium in Louisville. Waverly Hills closed in June 1961.

The building was reopened in 1962 as Woodhaven Geriatric Center, a nursing home primarily treating aging patients with various stages of dementia and mobility limits, as well as the severely mentally handicapped. Woodhaven was closed by the state in 1982 allegedly due to patient neglect.

Simpsonville developer J. Clifford Todd bought the hospital in 1983 for $3,005,000. He and architect Milton Thompson wanted to convert it into a minimum-security prison for the state, but the developers dropped the plan after neighbors protested. Todd and Thompson then proposed converting the hospital into apartments, but they counted on Jefferson Fiscal Court to buy around 140
acres (57 ha) from them for $400,000, giving them the money to start the project.

In March 1996, Robert Alberhasky bought Waverly Hills and the surrounding area. Alberhasky’s Christ the Redeemer Foundation Inc. made plans to construct the world’s tallest statue of Jesus on the site, along with an arts and worship center. The statue, which was inspired by the famed Christ the Redeemer statue on Corcovado Mountain in Rio de Janeiro, would have been designed by local sculptor Ed Hamilton and architect Jasper Ward.
The first phase of the development, coming in at a cost of $4,000,000, would have been a statue of 150 feet (46 m) tall and 150 feet (46 m) wide, situated on the roof of the sanatorium. The second phase would convert the old sanatorium into a chapel, theater, and a gift shop at a cost of $8,000,000 or more.

The plan to construct this religious icon fell through because donations to the project fell well short of expectations. In a period of a year, only $3,000 was raised towards the project despite efforts to pool money from across the nation. The project was canceled in December 1997.

Ongoing Restoration efforts:

After Alberhasky’s efforts failed, Waverly Hills was sold to Tina and Charlie Mattingly in 2001.
The Mattinglys hold tours of Waverly Hills and host a Haunted House attraction each Halloween, with proceeds going toward restoration of the property.
They’re also currently restoring all the windows in the decrepit building while restoring the interior of the old sanatorium.

Click on Images to enlarge