Sleeping teenager wakes to find builder’s legs dangling through bedroom ceiling

15

A sleeping teenager was woken by a loud bang and looked up to see a workman’s legs dangling through her bedroom ceiling.

Builders were working on the house in Edwalton, Nottingham, when the family heard a loud noise followed by a high pitched scream.

Gemma Phelps, 17, was in bed when she woke to find fibreglass raining down on her head.

She told the Nottingham Post : “It felt like the room caved in – they were fixing the roof. I was in bed and it shocked me.

“I started panicking and all I could see was fibreglass covering everything, it was all over my skin and it was itching, my breathing changed and I got rushed out of my room.”

Gemma Phelps was asleep when a builder came crashing through her bedroom ceiling

Gemma’s sister, Charlotte, 16, was out shopping with her mum when they heard the news and they rushed straight back home to see the damage.

Charlotte said: “I share a room with my sister and when I went in I as just so shocked, all our belongings are completely ruined and my sister has been left with a cut on her face and with some breathing difficulties.

“It is really scary, we were all evacuated from the house straight afterwards.”

The man fell through the roof while working at the property

Mum, Lisa Phelps, 35, said that work on the roof had only just started.

She said: “They started work on the roof today, they took all the roof tiles off and someone was walking around up there and fell all the way through.

“My daughter was in bed asleep and she said she saw his legs come through the ceiling.

“It is devastating really, the damage it has caused is awful. I have eight children and it has worried me, two of them slept in that room.”

The 17-year-old suffered a cut to the face after fibreglass rained down on her

East Midlands Ambulance Service said they were called at 11.18am.

A spokesman said: “We were called to the address and we assessed the patient over the phone. She had minor injuries and the family were able to make their own way to hospital should they need to.”

Gemma was also left with breathing difficulties

A spokesperson from Metropolitan, which owns the house, said: “We were sorry to hear about this accident, which must have been quite a shock.

“As soon as we were made aware of what had happened, we sent our team to assess the damage and provide support to the family. We will arrange for temporary accommodation while the necessary repair work is carried out and keep the family fully updated.

“The safety of our residents is our top priority and we are investigating how this accident happened, alongside the contractor which was carrying out the work.”

Read More On This At Mirror – Weird News